Monday, November 19, 2012

Every remembrance of you

Having my coffee in the stillness, watching the Christmas tree this morning reminds me of all I have to give thanks for this year. I am most grateful for my husband. He is truly a godsend. As we approach our first anniversary, I look back and see just how crazy of a year it has been.

Our wedding date was set on a whim. We got engaged on Christmas Eve and were married New Year's Eve at the stroke of midnight. It was a private ceremony - just the two of us and my father officiating. I wouldn't trade that night for the world.

We immediately started home renovations that ended up being much more extensive (and expensive) than we anticipated. All summer revolved around a gigantic roofing project. It allowed me to see exactly what a hard worker and smart guy I married. With little help from the ground crew (yours truly) he finished that massive undertaking just days before the big snow storm.

We've experienced some of the usual challenges of early marriage and some unique situations in the last year. Going from "my money" to "our money." Learning to navigate one another's moods and habits. Buying our first car together. Spending a total of almost three weeks with no power or water. Sick grandparents. Family drama in many forms. We've grown and challenged one another. I'm confident that we are better people together than we are apart. And I love him more with each passing day.

As the holiday season approaches, my prayer is that each soul finds its counterpart in this great big world. Each of you is worthy of love and is up to the challenge. As the saying goes, "No one said it would be easy. They just said it be worth it."

Be grateful. Love with everything you've got.

No comments:

Post a Comment